1-day workshop on Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) at Mumbai, Maharashtra
NITI Aaygog, CSIR – NEERI and UNICEF – WASH program, Water and Sanitation Support Organisation (WSSO) of the Maharashtra Water Supply and Sanitation Department (WSSD)
Included representatives of the Gram Panchayats, officials of the Zilla Parishad Administration, departments of the State Government, NEERI, MPCB, WSSD, subject matter experts, NGOs and philanthropic organisations working in the sector and technology solution providers.
To discuss on ways in which we can strengthen and expand upon the on-going initiatives in the sanitation sector across the state with regards to implementing the mandates of Swachha Bharat Mission (SBM) and orientation on Solid Waste Management (SWM) Rules, 2016 by –
- Review of the relevant rules, regulations and notifications issued by the government,
- Sessions on best practices and technologies applicable to sanitation and waste management services
- Group discussions between representatives from the Gram Panchayats, Zilla Parishad officials and service providers to understand the suitability of various technological options and hurdles faced during project implementation
- Session on applicability of GIS for primary data collection and planning for comprehensive sanitation and waste management
- Panel discussions to address issues raised by the participants
The workshop provided a platform for interaction between representatives from the Gram Panchayats and Zilla Parishads across Maharashtra and subject matter experts, service providers and technology providers, it also enabled discussions between the administrative authorities, the executing bodies and service providers to better understand the roadblocks in the successful implementation of the mandates of SBM and the need for SWM rules catering to Gramin Maharashtra.
The Workshop Report provides the details of the proceedings of the workshop and recommendations, based on the discussions and consultations during various sessions, submitted to the Government for facilitating the implementation of the mandates of the SBM and SWM Rules.